Happy new year everyone! I hope that you’ve had a good one wherever you have spent it. I celebrated new year at the beautiful York Minster, UK. I’m here today to share my travel blog highlights of 2017.
2017 is a fantastic year to look back on for Temple Seeker, as it was the year that my Church and temple photo travel blog really took off. Here’s a rundown of my key highlights and achievements over the last 12 months.
Temple Seeker Travel Blog Highlights of 2017
Pisa, Italy – February 2017
I spent Valentines Day with my partner in Pisa, Italy. A stunning city all round – accessible, amazing food and fabulous Church architecture. We headed to Piazza dei Miracoli to see the Duomo, Baptistry and Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Holy Land Israel (Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Bethlehem) – March and April 2017
My biggest travel blog highlight of 2017 has to be my visit to Israel including Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Qumran and Bethlehem. Visiting the Holy Land Israel had been a lifelong dream of mine, and as you can imagine, I was in my element.
During my trip to Israel, I published blogs on:
- Arriving in Tel Aviv during Purim
- Jerusalem – The best city in the world for Temple Seeking
- Jerusalem Sunset from the Panorama Hotel
- City of David
- How I screwed up my first Facebook Live!
- Dormition Abbey – A Celebration of the Virgin Mary
- Church of the Holy Sepulchre
- Highlights of the Holy Land Israel
- Ancient Tombs of the Kidron Valley
- Photographs that will make you want to visit Mount Zion
- Instagram Walk on the Mount of Olives – History and Religious Diversity
- Religious Buildings of Jaffa, Old Town Tel Aviv
- My Top 5 Churches of Jerusalem
- Oh Little Town of Bethlehem
- Discovering the Secret of the Dead Sea Scrolls
I’m sure that you will agree that in the Holy Land I was completely in my element! I feel like there is still plenty more to explore in Israel, and I found it so easy to travel there that I have no doubt that I will return. In the future, I would love to combine this with a trip to Jordan to visit Petra.
Paris, France – September 2017
The capital city of France was a fabulous destination for Temple Seeking. Highlights of course included the most amazing French gothic structure of Notre Dame and the beautiful stained glass windows of Sainte Chapelle.
I also climbed the stairs to Monmartre for the wonderful Sacre Coeur Basilica and the phenomenal view of the city.
Edinburgh, Scotland – November 2017
The capital city of Edinburgh made a fabulous destination for Temple Seeking in November, despite being a little chilly! Highlights of this trip were finding Greyfriars Bobby (remembering the story of that faithful little dog from my childhood) and visiting the Rosslyn Chapel where they filmed the Da Vinci Code.
Travel Blog Highlights – 2017 Travel Blog Guest Posts
One of my key travel blog highlights of 2017 was taking guest blogs. 2017 was the first year that I officially started taking guest posts from other bloggers. Guest posts provide me with great content, particularly for places that I may not have travelled too, and also raise the profile of the writer by giving a Google backlink and social media promotion. Temple Seeker’s top guest posts of 2017 were:
- Laos Wat Sisaket (by Alexandra Heidler of www.puzzledpilgrim.com)
- Mathura: A pilgrimage to the birthplace of Lord Krishna (by Maider from Pack and Click)
- Borobudur: The Hidden Treasure of Indonesia (by Maider from Pack and Click)
- Exploring the Temples and Shrines of Japan (by Medha Verma from Hopping Feet)
- Temples of Bali to fall in love with (by Medha Verma from Hopping Feet)
- Shwedagon Pagoda, Bagan and the Beautiful Temples of Myanmar (by Deah Hester of Palm Tree Musings)
- Don’t Be Rude! How to Visit Churches with Respect (by Heidi of www.flyawayu.com)
- The Best fortified Churches in Transylvania (by Stephan Alexander, from http://www.stefanrtw.com)
Social Media Achievements
In 2017, I started my fabulous Temple Seeker Instagram account, which I am extremely proud of. It’s a lot more niche than other generic travel blogs, because it has a focus. I now have over 200 followers – it seems to be more challenging to build Instagram since they changed the algorithm last year. Please follow me on Instagram!
Looking forward – Travel Goals 2018
In 2018, I will be starting the year in the beautiful UK historical city of York in January, and then heading to my home town of Liverpool in February. I am basing my blogs on UK travel at the start of the year as I am awaiting an operation for stage 4 endometriosis and don’t want to travel further afield until this has been done.
From March/April onwards, the world is my oyster so to speak! I am leaving my full time job in Liverpool to go full time as a travel blogger and digital nomad. My plans include Malta, Thailand and Mexico.
Here’s a run down of my rough 2018 plan…
- January – York, UK
- February – Liverpool, UK
- March – Manchester, UK
- April and May – Bangkok and Chiang Mai, Thailand
- June – Valetta, Malta
- July – Ostrava and Prague (Czech Republic)
- August -Budapest (Hungary) and Vienna (Austria)
- September -London and Bath, UK
- October – Mexico City, Mexico
- November – Medellin, Columbia
- December – Lima, Peru
Blogging and Social Media Goals 2018
As well as travel goals, I also have blogging and social media goals for this year, as I really want to ramp up my Temple Seeker travel blog. Here is what I aim to achieve by the end of next year:
- 3000 page views per month on Google Analytics
- 5000 Facebook fans
- 1000 Twitter followers
- 1000 Instagram followers
- At least 4 blogs per month (including one monthly guest blog)
Thanks for sharing my travel blog highlights of 2017 and looking forward to 2018 with me. What are your goals for 2018? Blogging, travel or otherwise, please share them in the comments below and I will answer you!