I recently traveled to Stockholm for the 2016 TBEX conference (Travel Bloggers Exchange). Visit Stockholm treated me to a trip to Landsort on the remote island of Oja, the Southernmost island of Stockholm’s archipelago.
Oja is famous for the Landsort lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in Sweden, which was constructed in 1651 and first lit in 1689. Climbing the lighthouse was an absolute privilege, and gave us breathtaking views of the remote island.
Yet it was the landsort chapel that I was really taken with – a charming blue wooden framed construct that was inaugurated in 1939.
The history behind the chapel is that it was given as a gift of hoof foresters Helge Ax: son Johnson at Berga Castle in Vaesterhaninge. It was designed by Ove Leijonhuvud.
Inside the chapel you will find two church ships, which are there as a reminder of how Landsort’s life always characterized by the ships or boats. The altarpiece is made and donated by the artist Axel Sjöberg.
Top Tips – Landsort Chapel
- The chapel is free to enter and usually very quiet, as there are only 27 families resident on the island!
- Remember that it is a place of worship, and although photos are welcomed, avoid flash photography and respect the silent atmosphere when worshippers are present.
- Musical events are sometimes held at the chapel in summer. You can contact Nynäshamn’s Tourist Information Centre for more information, +46 (0)8-520 737 00 or email@example.com.
- Make sure that you visit the famous Landsort lighthouse while you are on the island.
- There are only two places to eat on the island. I had a gorgeous bouillabaisse at Svedtiljas på Landsort.
- This is doable as a day trip from Stockholm. However, if you would like to stay overnight, I would recommend staying in the old pilot tower which has now been converted into a hotel! (see below
For the homepage on the main Landsort restaurant and hotel see www.g-mo.se.
Cost – Landsort Chapel
Entry to the chapel is free, just get in touch in advance to make sure it’s ok to visit on that day (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The cost of the ferry from Ankarudden to Landsort is 75kr (50kr for discount).
Religion and Denomination
Christian – Protestant
How to Get to Oja
If you can get a coach journey from Stockholm direct to Ankarudden, the journey time will be approximately 1 hour, but public transport will take much longer, and it is important that you check the timetables ( www.sl.se).
From Ankarudden, you then take the ferry to Landsort (75kr). Please note that no cars are allowed, you can only access the island of Oja by foot or bicycle.
For more details on how to get there, visit: https://www.visitnynashamn.se.
Where to Stay in Landsort
Although I didn’t stay overnight, I did get to have a look inside the hotel rooms at the old Pilot Tower. What a quirky conversion! Admittedly, it looks like a bit of an eyesore, but the renovation has resulted in modern and clean hotel rooms with en suite bathrooms.
As it was historically a watch tower, you have to take the lift to the 7th floor where you will get more phenomenal views of the island.
You might want to also explore accommodation options on the following sites…
Where to Stay in Nynäshamn according to Booking.com
Hotels in Nynäshamn on Agoda.
If you enjoyed this blog, and are travelling to Sweden, you might also like to read about spending A Day in Malmo.
You might also like to read about Stockholm Boat Tours – The best way to see the Swedish Capital